- 1 Karnataka allows sale of white kerosene in open market
- 1.1 Karnataka Govt Approves Amending Laws to Lift Ban on Kambala & Bullock Cart Race
- 1.2 Head Post Offices to Offer Services of Passport Seva Kendras
- 1.3 14th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas Convention Held in Bengaluru
- 1.4 Youth Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
- 1.5 14th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention
- 1.6 Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) cards
- 1.7 List of Pravasi Bharatiya Samman-2017 Awardees
- 1.8 Boeing India Engineering & Technology Centre Launched in Bengaluru
- 1.9 India’s largest startup incubator to be built at Hubballi
- 1.10 Karnataka Cooperation & Sugar Minister H S Mahadeva Prasad passes away
Centre Grants Drought Relief Assistance of Rs. 1782 Crore for Karnataka
The Union Government has approved an assistance of 1782.44 Crore for drought- affected Karnataka on January 5, 2017. The decision was taken during a meeting of the High Level Committee chaired by Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
The committee approved the grant after examining the proposal based on the reports of the Inter-Ministerial Central Team (IMCT) which visited the state. The assistance has been approved from the National Disaster Relief Fund (NDRF).
Karnataka allows sale of white kerosene in open market
- Karnataka government lead by Siddaramaiah , has decided to allow the sale of white kerosene in open market. An official order was issued by State Food and Civil Supplies Minister UT Khader on January 18, 2017
- The dealers who have interest in selling white kerosene in open market can approach the office of the Food and Civil Supplies in their
Karnataka Govt Approves Amending Laws to Lift Ban on Kambala & Bullock Cart Race
- The Karnataka state cabinet on January 28, 2017 approved amending Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Bill, 1960 Act to legalize the Kambala and Bullock Cart Race which is a traditional festival held annually in
- The amendment Bill will be introduced by the state cabinet in the legislature session scheduled to be begin from February
- The Karnataka High Court banned the Kambala after animal rights group filed a petition to ban the sport as it showed cruelty against animals in sports like bull-taming and buffalo-racing.
Head Post Offices to Offer Services of Passport Seva Kendras
- The Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilizers Ananth Kumar inaugurated India’s first Post Office Passport Seva Kendras (POPSK) at Metagalli post office in Mysuru on January 25, 2017. The second POPSK simultaneously opened in Gujarat.
- The POPSK has been launched to expand the passport services over a wide area and simplify the process to travel
- The Ministry of External Affairs and the Department of Posts (DOP) made Joint Venture to implement the project of delivering passport-related services. Initially the pilot project has been inaugurated at the Mysuru Head Post office in Karnataka and at Dahod in Gujarat.
14th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas Convention Held in Bengaluru
The 14th edition of the Pravasi Bhartiya Divas (PBD) Convention 2017 kick started at Jacaranda Hall, BIEC, in Bengaluru, Karnataka on January 7 and would conclude on January 9, 2017.
The theme of the three day PBD 2017 was Redefining Engagement with the Indian Diaspora.
Youth Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
- The PBD began on January 7 with the Youth Pravasi Bharatiya Divas. The theme of Youth PBD was ‘Role of Diaspora Youth in the Transformation of India’.
- The event was chaired by Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Vijay Goel and co-chaired by Minister of State for External Affairs, Dr V.K.
- Vice President of Suriname Michael Ashwin Adhin was the Special Guest at the Youth Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) who addressed the young overseas Indian delegates at the inaugural session along with Minister of External Affairs Smt Sushma Swaraj, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah among
14th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention
The main event of the PBD event started on January 8, 2017.
Inaugurated by: Prime Minster Narendra Modi
Chief Guest of the Convention: Prime Minister of Portugal, Dr Antonio Costa
Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) cards
- PM Modi emphasized the contributions made by the Non-residential Indians and Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) in the development of India and addressed the OCIs facing difficulty in getting the OCIs
- The deadline for PIO card conversions to OCI has also been extended from December 31, 2016, to June 30, 2017, without any
List of Pravasi Bharatiya Samman-2017 Awardees
|1||Dr. Gorur Krishna Harinath||Australia||Community Service|
|2 .||Mr. Rajasekharan Pillai Valavoor Kizhakkathil||Bahrain||Business|
|3 .||Antwerp Indian Association||Belgium||Community Service|
|4 .||Mr. Nazeer Ahamed Mohamed Zackiriah||Brunei||Community Service|
|5.||Mr. Mukund Bhikhubhai Purohit||Canada||Business|
|6.||Mr. Nalinkumar Sumanlal Kothari||Djibouti||Community Service|
|7.||Mr. Vinod Chandra Patel||Fiji||Social Service|
|8.||Mr. Raghunath Marie Antonin Manet||France||Arts & Culture|
|9.||Dr. Lael Anson E. Best||Israel||Medical Science|
|10.||Dr. Sandip Kumar Tagore||Japan||Arts & Culture|
|11.||Mr. Ariful Islam||Libya||Community Service|
|12 .||Tan Sri Dato Dr. Muniandy Thambirajah||Malaysia||Education and Community Service|
Jaipur to be next Destination for startups after Bengaluru
1.The state government of Rajasthan led by Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje has collaborated with the American MNC Cisco to develop the state capital Jaipur as the second startup destination after
2.The joint programme, Jaipur Lighthouse City programme, would comprise of series of initiatives for the digial transformation of the State.
3.The main focus of the initiative would be the girls. The state government and Cisco will focus on training the girls in information and communication technology (ICT).
Boeing India Engineering & Technology Centre Launched in Bengaluru
- American aerospace major Boeing Corporation launched the “Boeing India Engineering & Technology Center” (BIETC) on January 24, 2017 in Bengaluru in a bid to enhance its aerospace innovation in global emerging market like
- The engineering and technology centre will employ hundreds of talent of pool employees from within the nation to support its information technology & data analytics, engineering, research and technology and tests to increase productivity and long-term competitiveness in Indian Market
India’s largest startup incubator to be built at Hubballi
- Indian-American entrepreneur, philanthropist and venture capitalist Gururaj Deshpande has decided to launch India’s largest startup incubation centre at Hubballi (earlier Hubli) in Karnataka.
- The decision is based on the idea of expansion of the Deshpande Foundation’s initial incubation center, Sandbox, which was founded by Deshpande and his wife Jaishree in Nearly 50 startups are part of the Sandbox. All of them will move to the new facility once it is ready.
- The new incubator centre would be spread over an area of 85,000 sq ft alongside the new campus of information technology giant Infosys and will be able to house 1,200 people at a time. This will pave way for at least 200 Startups.
- The Deshpande Foundation’s startup incubation centre will be built at a cost of Rs 30 crore, and is expected to be completed by September2017.
Karnataka Cooperation & Sugar Minister H S Mahadeva Prasad passes away
- Karnataka Cooperation and Sugar Minister H S Mahadev Prasad died of a massive heart attack at a private resort in Koppa in Chikkamagaluru district
- He represented Gundlupete constituency in Chamarajanagar district.